Part 2 of 3
Collecting IT assets from dismissed employees can be a difficult process, but it is important to ensure that the company’s security protocols are followed and that the employee’s data and information are not compromised. It is best to start by creating a checklist of required items to be returned and use it as a guide when collecting assets. This should include items such as laptops, phones, USB sticks, and any other devices or data storage equipment. Once the checklist is completed, a representative from the IT department should meet with the dismissed employee to collect the items and verify that all required items have been returned. It is also important to check that the employee has not installed any unauthorized software or stored any confidential information on these devices. After the collection is complete, the IT department should verify that all data has been removed from the devices before they are re-issued.
Sipi’s Box Program is an excellent example of a process that has been working for decades.
Sipi Asset Recovery client advocates work with you to develop a plan that helps your remote employees and small branch locations simply and easily package and ship assets for refreshes, recycling, sale, donation, or redeployment.
Our signature box program has solved enormous challenges for clients with decentralized footprints needing to retrieve assets throughout the country. Whether your business is in technology, finance, healthcare, insurance, or any industry that stores data, Sipi Asset Recovery has the solution you can trust.
Box Program Process:
- Your Client Advocate will work with you to discuss a box program that is right for you. They will be there for you every step of the process.
- When the need arises, you make a request through our Customer Portal or by calling one of our dedicated Client Advocates.
- A Sipi Asset Recovery Box Program kit will be sent to the specified location, containing instructions, all packing materials, and a return shipping label.
- Pack your box. Use the pre-printed shipping return label, call for pick-up or drop your box off for shipping to the Sipi Asset Recovery processing facility.
- All Bill of Lading (UPS) numbers are tracked—inbound and outbound. You have status visibility on the Customer Portal of all boxes received or not received.
- Assets are given a technical and cosmetic audit, and data security is performed if applicable. Assets are classified for remarketing, recycling or redeployment.
- Certificates of EPA Compliant Recycling and Certificates of Data Erasure will be available on the Customer Portal for 24/7 viewing.
Retrieving assets from individuals or small office closings is a necessary but tedious process but are usually easily completed with the help of a box program. On the other hand, decommissioning an entire office is a job for a team that includes an ITAD partner and the resources that go along.
Carrier pick-up Services
In the event of a whole office or location closure, not all IT assets will be suitable to be recovered with a box program, particularly when there are multi items that need to be retrieved. A more cost-effective option is available.
Although every client has unique pick-up needs, here is an example of what you can expect from a bulk asset pick-up.
- The client makes requests via email, fax, or phone
- Order is confirmed
- Dates and Times are scheduled
- OSS technician is contacted to perform inventory, packing, and palletizing
- Status update sent to the client
- Bulk Pick-Up – Shipment is already prepared (skidded and shrink-wrapped), located at the dock.
- Staged Assets – The equipment is gathered at a staging area. The assets need to be inventoried, palletized, and packed.
- Disbursed Equipment – Equipment must be gathered throughout the premises. Brought back to the staging area and same procedures as Staged Assets.
- Bulk Pick Up – Owner packed skids and cartons. The carrier will give a skid count and notate the general condition of the skids and cartons on the inventory.
- Staged Assets – The assets will be scanned, and the asset tag, type of asset, and serial number will be captured. The condition of assets will be noted.
- Disbursed Equipment – ·Same as Staged Assets.
Packing and Transporting
- Each asset will need a barcode inventory sticker affixed.
- Assets need to be scanned before being palletized or packed.
- The origin agent will ship to his local warehouse for processing.
How to have a successful pick-up:
Make sure to collect the following information and share it with your ITAD partner before the scheduled pick-up date.
- Quantity and type of assets
- Client data security requirements on data-bearing assets
- Building requirements
- Elevator usage and availability
- Union labor
- Certificates of Insurance requirements by management companies
At Sipi, we work with our clients to support their needs and expectations. What typically makes a pick-up successful is having a clear understanding of the client’s site, the assets that will be picked up, and overall good communication. When we execute a pick-up, our goal is to accomplish several things:
- Timely execution
- Least amount of disruption to the client’s environment
- Properly inventory, pack and secure the assets for transport
- Provide a good value to the client for the service being provided