Damaged, defective, or recalled (DDR) lithium-ion batteries are the main reason behind phone screen cracks, gadget casing warps, or even a laptop trackpad malfunction. DDR batteries may appear to be a minor issue; however, a damaged battery can be very harmful to the device, the environment the device is in, and the device’s owner. Therefore, educated and careful removal, handling, and disposal/recycling of a DDR battery are essential to stave off avoidable mishaps.
A fully authorized (DOT) lithium-ion battery shipping kit, combined with a licensed disposal provider, is the safest option to handle DDR batteries’ safe and secure shipment.
Handling of Damaged, Defective, or Recalled Batteries
Never throw a lithium-ion battery, let alone a damaged battery, in the trash, recycle bin, or random location not equipped to handle it. Since these batteries contain chemicals and hazardous materials, inappropriate discarding of them can negatively affect the surrounding environment. Additionally, anyone coming in contact with the damaged battery can face harm or injury.
- The battery should be removed as soon as the swelling is noticed, to avoid any further damage to the device.
- When handling damaged batteries it is necessary to wear protective gear on your hands and over your eyes, to avoid burns or airborne irritants, should the battery release any toxins.
- Do not use force of any kind to disconnect the battery from the device. If they do not separate easily, the entire device will need to be shipped along with the battery.
- Once the battery is removed from the device, it should be stored in a cool, dry location. Tape can be placed over the components to minimize the possibility of sparks and fire.
Follow Proper Procedures For Shipping Damaged, Defective, or Recalled Batteries
DDR batteries shipped without sufficient protection are more likely to cause safety problems. For instance, sparks or chemical gases may ignite a fire or cause difficult breathing situations at a collection site or shipping facilities.
The benefits of utilizing a compliant lithium-ion battery return kit, out way the risks and costs from employee injuries or damages that your organization could incur should a DDR battery cause an incident.
Benefits of using a compliant lithium-ion battery return kit:
- The kit is delivered directly to your specified location(s) and contains all the materials needed, thus eliminating the need to travel with the hazardous materials.
- The kit complies with government-approved packaging, handling, and transportation standards. In addition, the specialized flame retardant materials provide a safe envelope to prevent movements that may cause short-circuiting, overheating, or catching fire.
- Utilizing the kit keeps dangerous chemicals and harmful gases out of our environment and landfills.
- Utilizing a DDR battery transportation solution eliminates the requirement to handle the shipment as a regulated Class 9 hazard. As a result, you also avoid the need for proper hazmat training and rigorous DOT requirements.
Sipi Asset Recovery is now offering a DDR Lithium-ion Battery Return Kit
Sipi Asset Recovery provides a simple, compliant battery return kit solution for DDR Lithium-ion batteries, making it easy to ship from home or business safely. Whether your shipment contains Damaged Defective or Recalled lithium products or warranty returns, you can feel confident in using our DDR Return Kit. Each kit comes with complete instructions for handling, packaging, and shipping. Contact us today to discuss a program for your organization.